Friday, May 25, 2012

Gluten Free Gozleme

Sometimes inspirations strikes, that and hunger. So tonight I decided to attempt making some gluten free Gozleme because I saw it being sold at the markets today and had nothing else at home for dinner but some spinach, feta and other salad stuff in the fridge and was tired of salad. Just one leetle problem I had no yeast and while the bus does run an extra hour and a half on Friday nights there was no way I was leaving the house to go and buy yeast and importantly yeast means kneading and I am too tired to knead. So I would give it a shot and if by 8:30 I had nothing edible I was going to get out the menu of the Chinese place down the road and order Kung Pao chicken. Yes I would have to walk and pick it up but by then I would be hungry enough to chew my arm off so…
This is the combination of ingredients I came up with (I wrote them down with great hope I would have something to take pics of)
  • 1.5 cups of self raising gluten free flour (I was out of the non self raising kind)
  • ½ xantham gum
  • ¾ c greek yogurt
  • ½ tsp salt
  • Feta cheese – here is where things fell down. I just drained the water off what remained of it and broke it up with a fork
  • Spinach – it was a bunch of English spinach, no idea what it weighed
  • 1 tbp olive oil
  • 2 cloves of garlic finely chopped
  • Salt and pepper

Preparation
I mixed the flour, gum, salt and yogurt in the food processor and pulsed a few times till mixed. It did not form a ball like it does when it is flour, butter and ice water but it looked like tiny bread crumbs.
Oh what to do I wondered.
I dumped the mixture out into a bowl and started to feel it with my hands and it was damp enough and just formed into a ball really easily. So I set the ball aside, washed up everything and decided to cook the spinach.
I think if I had pre packaged baby spinach I may not have washed it but this was the grandma spinach that said “cook me”
I love my spinach cooked with garlic sautéed in olive oil then the spinach gently wilted, salt and pepper then a dash of fresh lemon juice. So that is what I did and set it in a colander to drain any additional fluid.
All of this was so exhausting and I still had no idea it would work as my ball did not look any bigger. Did I mention I was starving? So off to the couch to check Facebook I went because well what else does one do when they are starving and dinner is an uncertain prospect?
Eventually I went to have a piece of fruit (I have been eating healthier) and decided to cut the ball open as time was ticking by and to my surprise it looked like dough inside. Cue the music as I did my happy dance in the kitchen. This might just be OK
My past experience with GF dough is that I have to roll it out between plastic so I got 2 sheets of cling wrap and put a quarter of a ball and rolled it out till fairly thin.
Meanwhile the skillet was heating up with some cooking spray. I gently flipped the dough from the plastic into the skillet put the fillings in flipped the other side over.
Would it be heavy, doughy, tough, would I be going out for Chinese? I waited with baited breath and growling stomach
No it was perfect – slightly crunchy on the outside from the high heat and cooking spray but soft and gooey with the melted cheese and garlicky spinach inside. I was in heaven; I stared at them in awe. Definitely no kung pao tonight or tomorrow either.
Served with a side of Tzatziki that I made earlier in the week for something else


2 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness, I've never heard of Gozleme, but it looks amazing! Now I'm wanting something with garlic, spinach & feta. YUM!

    ReplyDelete
  2. so going to try this thanks for posting xx

    ReplyDelete